Friday 2 June 2023

A nice Dutch Jewish girl.

I remember her parents.
During my university study of politics I was part of a small doctoral study group researching Arab nationalism.
Her parents were two of the fellow-students who sometimes came to listen to our lectures and discussions. They were already stalwart members of the Dutch Labour Party, continuing the rich tradition of Amsterdam Jews.
They were nice as well.

In her quiet, unassuming and friendly way she was in the news again, promoting peace and love in the Middle East.

She is not like me, she is neutral.
She does not feel at home in either a pro-Palestinian or a pro-Israel demonstration.
Though a remark like "many Jews stand behind Israel despite what is happening," does not seem that neutral.

She makes documentaries for a woke public and writes columns for newspapers who cater to that public. Her views are coincidentally tailor-made for the people who pay her.

It does not seem to bother her that Hamas calls for the murder of all Jews because, according to its covenant, that is the only way to rid the world of evil.
Perhaps she does not think it is important.

I have the impression she is constantly trying to prove to her multicultural friends she is one of the nice, "good" Jews.
A bit sad, as Hamas-supporters do not differentiate between "good" and "bad" Jews.

"I worry about both. My Palestinian friends, but also my Israeli ones from whom I get videos from the shelters."
Now that is really nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment